Neurologist Visit

Tuesday June 2, 2009 - I had my appointment with the neurologist today and we were there for almost three hours. What it boils down to is that without two or more occurrences they can't diagnose me with MS. It is called clinically isolated syndrome.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/diagnosing-ms/cis/index.aspx

The MRI did find about 10 lesions on my brain that are all old or nonactive. (No black holes, thankfully) Since I have never had an MRI before, there is no way of knowing when the lesions occurred or if they happened at the same time. With the MRI, my age, gender and other aspects; I am at high risk for being diagnosed with MS in the future. When that might be; no one knows. I do have to go in for another MRI of my spinal cord to make sure I don't have any lesions there. He said my reflexes are a little brisk, meaning a little more than they should be. (What he would see in an MS patient.) After the MRI I will have blood work done. Between now and probably Friday I have a lot of research to do on medications. I will start treatment as an MS patient would. Basically, we shouldn't wait until I have another occurrence and more damage to my brain. He is having me look at four different options. Three are injections that are FDA approved (all MS treatment that is FDA approved is injection) and one is a pill that is a clinical trial. I have a lot to think about. So basically, I will be on medication and have routine MRI's the rest of my life or until they find a cure for MS.

Jerry and I both really like my neurologist. He specializes in MS so he knows his stuff. I think he put Jerry at ease today; which helps. Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. This has been a very hard time for all of us and I know we are ready to move forward and take it a day at a time.

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment