Busy Day

Thursday October 1, 2009 - Today was a very busy day for us. I had an appointment with the dermatologist just for a follow up - everything looks good. After that I took Emily in to have blood drawn. I have been putting it off for a week. She did GREAT! She didn't cry or anything; she just watched the guy stick her and take her blood. I think the kids seeing me stick myself with a needle has made them a little more tolerant of the doctor and shots and such. Then, Emily and I headed to the grocery store where we spent 2 hours shopping. UGH! That is what happens when you have not been shopping in about three weeks.

We got home, unloaded the groceries, ate lunch and started some laundry. Then I went an attempted to get new glasses with very little luck. Emily was tired, so she would not listen to anything I said. So of course as soon as we got in the car she fell asleep. When we got home it was time for Dylan to get home from school and then I took him to have his blood drawn. He did GREAT as well! I think it helped that Emily told him about it before hand and made it sound like no big deal; so he had to be the big boy since his sister did not cry.

Then we were off to pick Jerry up from work and try once more to get my glasses. I picked out the glasses I wanted and then went to sign in to wait for someone to help me. We waited for 45 minutes. Two people that came in after me were called first. I went to look at the sign in sheet and they had just completely skipped me. So we were there all that time for nothing. We got up and left. Very frustrating! Now we are trying to get homework and showers done. It is way past bedtime.

* I had Emily and Dylan's blood drawn to check their vitamin D levels. There are new studies that show vitamin D deficiencies may be a contributing factor to developing MS. You get vitamin D from sunshine and from milk. Nowadays kids are not outside as much and drink skim milk more; so they have lower levels of vitamin D. My neurologist highly recommended getting them checked so if it is low we can make sure we either spend more time outside or supplement them. Having a parent with MS makes them more likely to get MS and since Emily is female she is at greater risk. If there is anything I can do to make those risks lower I will do it.

I hope you have all had a great week and have a good weekend. Don't forget Austin MS walk is next Saturday in Round Rock. Hope to see you all there.

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you all are having the Vit. D checked out. Talked to a few doctors up here and there's a huge research study with D being done in Seattle because of the continuing rise of MS in this area. YAY!
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kiddos are tough, good thing because this world is CRAZY! It's good you are being proactive with your kids health...you are a good mom. Also good you did not kung fu the eye glass people, that would've been bad ;)

    ReplyDelete